Burlington Memories

Navigate with the Previous/Next buttons or arrow keys, or play the slideshow.
Note: the navigation keys and slideshow bypass the folder "group pictures"; click to view it.
Some pictures can be enlarged to show details: click the 1:1 icon and drag with the mouse if the picture extends outside the screen.
There is a music track of clips from 50's and 60's hits. Click the music note icon to bring up the music control bar. Click the icon again to close the control bar; the music still plays when the control bar is closed.
license plate holder
Image 1 of 435
Image 2 of 435
in the beginning ...
Image 3 of 435
Image 4 of 435
how Burlington got her name
this page from a 1834 history of New Jersey
Image 5 of 435
our town 1870
map 1876
Image 6 of 435
1876 map of area along the river
High and Broad c 1900
Image 7 of 435
High & Broad, c. 1900
postcard 1909
Image 8 of 435
Image 9 of 435
in the 20's
Broad and High 2
Image 10 of 435
and in the 60's
Image 11 of 435
in its heyday
aerial view
Image 12 of 435
traffic booth1
Image 13 of 435
traffic booth then...
traffic booth2
Image 14 of 435
and now, on Jacksonville Rd.
Find this in Google Maps or Google Earth by entering 909 Jacksonville Rd. or the coordinates 40 03 45.75 N 74 49 32.56 W. The sign on the right is Dynatec Systems, Inc.
Community House
Image 15 of 435
Community House on W. Pearl
Did you have a birthday party there?
old post office
Image 16 of 435
old post office at Broad & Locust ...
old post office site
Image 17 of 435
and the site today
generating plant
Image 18 of 435
power to the people !
July 4 1940
Image 19 of 435
July 4th parage 1940
Fox Theater in the distance ...
Fox theater
Image 20 of 435
Jacob Fox came to America in 1902 from Russia. By 1923 he was operating eight theaters in South Jersey. There were three in Burlington: the Birch Opera House, the Auditorium Theater which was renovated and renamed the Fox in 1923, and the High Theater built by Jacob's son Melvin in the 50's.
"Going Wild" - 1930, "Philadelphia Story" - 1940
High Theater
Image 21 of 435
Remember double features?
"Bring Your Smile Along" - 1955
"Jesse James vs. the Daltons" - 1954
High St parade 1952
Image 22 of 435
July 4th parade 1952
Lakanoo Boat Club 1907
Image 23 of 435
Collins house
Image 24 of 435
Isaac Collins house, Broad and York, built c.1785.
Collins was appointed His Majesty’s Royal Printer in 1770 and started the first newspaper in New Jersey, The New Jersey Gazette. He is also printed the first quarto Bible in America.
three pound note
Image 25 of 435
Three Pound Note printed by Isaac Collins in 1776
original library
Image 26 of 435
original library
Image 27 of 435
and today
library card
Image 28 of 435
Still have your card, Amy?
Grant House
Image 29 of 435
Grant house, 309 Wood St.
Home of the family of General Ulysses S. Grant during the Civil War.
Memorial Hall
Image 30 of 435
Memorial Hall, dedicated in 1923 to the local citizens who served in WW I. Now home of the American Legion. The statue is Capt. James Macfarland MD.
Image 31 of 435
"Mercury, Messenger of the Gods" - Cast iron statue erected 1881, centerpiece of the Birch Opera House which was the site of the present Post Office. Believed to have been cast in England and a copy of a 16th century work by Flemish sculptor Jean Boulogne.
Image 32 of 435
A favorite target for Halloween pranksters, like maybe a diaper !
Oneida Boat Club
Image 33 of 435
Oneida Boat Club, the oldest boat club on the Delaware in continuous operation, founded 1873
Oneida today
Image 34 of 435
Oneida today
Penn house
Image 35 of 435
Penn House - West New Jersey Proprietors Office on W. Broad St, contains original documents signed by William Penn
Henry Shaw1
Image 36 of 435
Henry Shaw farmhouse, on site of what is now Columbus Park
train station2
Image 37 of 435
train station 1870
RR 1904
Image 38 of 435
train station 1904
Nellie Bly1
Image 39 of 435
the Nellie Bly, engine #518
From early 20th century until 1961, the Pennsylvania Railroad operated this parlor-car only express train between New York and Atlantic City.
Nelly Bly portrait
Image 40 of 435
Nellie Bly (5/5/1864 – 1/27/1922) was the pen name of journalist Elizabeth Jane Cochran. She is considered the pioneer of investigative journalism and wrote for several newspapers on controversial issues usually surrounding the plight of the poor, immigrants and women. She is also notable for her trip around the world in 72 days, beating by 8 days the fictional record of Jules Verne's character Phileas Fogg.
railroad car
Image 41 of 435
In the mid 1800's the Burlington County Railroad Co. ran from Burlington to Mount Holly. In 1895 the Burlington & Mount Holly line became the first electric DC trolley line in New Jersey. This service was discontinued in1901 after a fire at the powerhouse in Mount Holly. The Line was abandoned in 1927.
Aged Womens Home
Image 42 of 435
Aged Women's Home, York & E. Union Streets
1925 and today
Wood St
Image 43 of 435
The old town of Burlington was settled in 1677 by people from districts London and Yorkshire in England. The settlers from Yorkshire built to the east of the main street while those from London build to the west side.
wood st fair
Image 44 of 435
Wood Street Fair. The grafitti dates the picture!
Wood St fair 2013
Image 45 of 435
Wood Street Fair 2013. Not much has changed!
Image 46 of 435
Each stop on the old riverline had its own eagle, decorated however they chose. This is on the riverfront near the bridge.
Image 47 of 435
Lawrence School, before 2nd floor was removed
Image 48 of 435
The Beaudinot School was named for Elias Boudinot, the New Jersey delegate to the Continental Congress from 1789 to 1795, and director of the U.S. Mint from 1795 to 1805. Now a private residence.
Stacey School
Image 49 of 435
Robert Stacy School
Built in 1846, served as elementary, junior, and high schools. In 1992 high school classes were move to the new Wilbur Watts school, and Stacy then became a junior high and closed in 1983. Stacy was a 17th-century Quaker who bequeathed Burlington Island to the school district.
Allen school
Image 50 of 435
The William Allen School, built 1900, was the City's third school for the education of African-American children. Named for a mayor of the City during the Civil War.
grammar school
Image 51 of 435
Boys' grammar school 1899, corner of Jones St. & Bordontown Rd.
Later became a firehouse, then a union hall for U.S. Pipe workers, finally torn down to put in townhouses.
Doane Academy
Image 52 of 435
Doane Academy, a coeducational private school. Founded as St. Mary's Hall in 1837 by Bishop George Washington Doane, the second Episcopal bishop of New Jersey.
report 1st
Image 53 of 435
Lawrence School 1st grade report card 1952
safety patrol2
Image 54 of 435
where was your corner ?
safety patrol
Image 55 of 435
Did you take the pledge?
Weekly Reader 1958
Image 56 of 435
couldn't wait for this!
Image 57 of 435
Image 58 of 435
Highlights taught us good manners - right!
Image 59 of 435
Safety first !
Image 60 of 435
Image 61 of 435
Majorettes in 1961: Carol Gilbert, Joyce Gamble, Judy Anderson, Minnie Harker, Sheila Fagan, Edie Peaker
varsity band
Image 62 of 435
Steve band 1964
Image 63 of 435
1964 BHS marching band, with sax extraordinaire Steve Sand
boys state 1963
Image 64 of 435
Boys State 1963
bad boy2
Image 65 of 435
♪ ♫  Bad to the bone !   ♫ ♪
bad boy1
Image 66 of 435
♪ ♫  B-B-B-Bad !  ♫ ♪
hall guides
Image 67 of 435
good boy !
report card
Image 68 of 435
BHS Senior year report card. Check that Record of Conduct!
Florelle Shop
Image 69 of 435
prom time !
Mr Roberts
Image 70 of 435
what better place to get your hair done than Mr. Roberts ...
Image 71 of 435
and put on your best jewelry !
Image 72 of 435
Not to be outdone, the guys also spiffed up, this one with a "D.A.".
white bucks
Image 73 of 435
and white bucks !
Image 74 of 435
♪ ♫ Come, let's stroll, stroll across the floor ♫ ♪
Latin Casino2
Image 75 of 435
site of many a prom
Latin Casino
Image 76 of 435
Torn down in the 80s after a fire. Maybe someone forgot to close cover before striking!
Hawaiian Cottage
Image 77 of 435
another prom venue - Hawaiin Cottage
firehouse dance
Image 78 of 435
those firehouse dances!
snack shack
Image 79 of 435
Did you work the Snack Shack ?
jazz band
Image 80 of 435
jazz band practice at the home of director Dawson McElwee
yearbook 68
Image 81 of 435
Mrs. Taylor's Tigers
Virginia Taylor2
Image 82 of 435
tribute to Mrs. Taylor in 1940 Heirloom
play 1962
Image 83 of 435
"The Boy Who Changed the World"
BHS play 1962
play 1963a
Image 84 of 435
"Gramercy Ghost"
BHS play 1963
play 1963b
Image 85 of 435
diagrammed sentences
Image 86 of 435
Do you still diagram your sentences?
Image 87 of 435
the original text message
Image 88 of 435
did you write those messages with this?
World Book
Image 89 of 435
no Wikipedia back then
Jersey Boys State
Image 90 of 435
1963 Burlington County contingent to Jersey Boys State
Image 91 of 435
The Awakener - Burlington Jr. High newspaper
Image 92 of 435
yb 63 future
Image 93 of 435
future occupations, BHS class of '63
yb 64 hr pride
Image 94 of 435
homeroom 302 pride, BHS yearbook 1964
Image 95 of 435
Detention Hall - pros and cons
Image 96 of 435
Burlington Township High School
BTHS pennant
Image 97 of 435
Image 98 of 435
preserved forever !
Image 99 of 435
food of the gods !
Tastycake 1914
Image 100 of 435
Miss Tastykake 1914
pork roll
Image 101 of 435
love that Taylor Pork Roll !
Image 102 of 435
delivered straight to your door
Image 103 of 435
some of our favorite junk foods
Mallo Cup
Image 104 of 435
Have you reached 500 yet?
Image 105 of 435
nothing better than fresh Jersey tomatos!
Image 106 of 435
oh, yeah !!
Image 107 of 435
popular stop while cruisin'
Image 108 of 435
nectar of the gods then ....
Image 109 of 435
and now
Image 110 of 435
served at Rigg's on High St.
Boost truck
Image 111 of 435
Image 112 of 435
that Boost truck is a classic !
Image 113 of 435
anyone still call pizza "tomato pie" ?
Gus Hazel 54
Image 114 of 435
Gus' after Hurricane Hazel 1954
NJ pizza
Image 115 of 435
Gus special?
Of course pizza goes with....
Image 116 of 435
"Hey, get your cold beer!
Hey, get your Ballantine!"
Burger Chef
Image 117 of 435
Steer Inn
Image 118 of 435
Steer Inn, c.1960
Image 119 of 435
did you go ?
Image 120 of 435
JB Bakery
Image 121 of 435
JB Bakery at High & Morris, still going strong!
JB Bakery inside
Image 122 of 435
"I want them all !"
Image 123 of 435
world's best ice cream!
ads 1
Image 124 of 435
remember these?
Image 125 of 435
Burlington Diner back then ...
Image 126 of 435
and later
Image 127 of 435
Diner employees Junior Broadbent, George Plytas, Gus Mastoris, Nick Stratis
Image 128 of 435
Image 129 of 435
mural of Diner, which is now Amy's Omelette House
Image 130 of 435
and across the street was Ange's
car dealers
Image 131 of 435
Columbus market
Image 132 of 435
Image 133 of 435
J. Chein factory - originally in NYC, moved to Burlington in the late 40s and employed up to 600 workers until early 90s. Best remembered for its mechanical toys.
Image 134 of 435
J. Chein toys
Lucas Ford
Image 135 of 435
ad in "THE ARROWHEAD" section of Burlington County Times 6/18/64
Image 136 of 435
Burlington Loan and Trust
"the bank with the clock in the middle of the block"
quarter saver
Image 137 of 435
those quarters add up !
Image 138 of 435
Sam the Candy Man
ads 2
Image 139 of 435
and these?
magnet c1984
Image 140 of 435
fridge magnet c.1984
Image 141 of 435
Image 142 of 435
Robert Hall
Image 143 of 435
♪ ♫ When the values go up, up, up... and the prices go down, down down... ♫ ♪
Highway Diner
Image 144 of 435
The old State Hwy. 25 is now Rt. 130.
Image 145 of 435
Chatterbox Motel, postcard dated 1953
Back of card states "One of New Jersey's finest restaurants and motor courts". Really?
city hall old
Image 146 of 435
the first City Hall? date of picture unknown
city halll 1910
Image 147 of 435
City Hall on High St. 1910
Lyceum Center
Image 148 of 435
Lyceum Hall built 1839 as a public hall for lectures, theatrical shows, and cultural programs. Became the City Hall in 1851. In 2010 it became the Herman T Costello Lyceum Hall Center dedicated to the arts, history and culture of Burlington.
city hall new
Image 149 of 435
new City Hall
Image 150 of 435
Janson's barber shop at High & Pearl
Tonys Bar
Image 151 of 435
Tony's Bar at 219 High St. where Cafe Gallery is today. Janson's gas station next to it later became Janson's Barber Shop.
Janson Store
Image 152 of 435
Janson's Store, 19 E. Pearl (date unknown)
Caruso Gas
Image 153 of 435
from 1947 through 1977
ads 3
Image 154 of 435
Image 155 of 435
ad in Burlington Press, June 14, 1962
Image 156 of 435
health salon
Image 157 of 435
Image 158 of 435
Mattson's, c. 1950's
Image 159 of 435
Severns woodwork company, established 1862. Manufacturerd items such as doors, windows, blinds, shutters, mouldings, carriage bodies. This advertising ruler c. 1900.
Image 160 of 435
Anyone catch these movies?
Image 161 of 435
were you even listening to it?
Camden drive-in
Image 162 of 435
world's first drive-in was in Camden
Olympia Lakes
Image 163 of 435
Olympia Lakes
Dick Clark - Lanny1959
Image 164 of 435
The "Eternal Teen" held sock hops at Olympia Lakes.
Here he is with Burlingtonian Harlan "Lanny" Lippincott in 1959
Holiday Lake
Image 165 of 435
and across the street
Holiday Lake 2
Image 166 of 435
Holiday Lakes today
Image 167 of 435
Holiday Lakes today. Oh, well.
Horn Hardart
Image 168 of 435
Horn & Hardart "H&H" automat
Well, maybe not Burlington but still a great memory !
three digit
Image 169 of 435
anyone remember 3-digit phone numbers?
shoe store
Image 170 of 435
Shoe Wars!
Henry's, Dubrow's, Popkin's, Flaer's, Endicott & Johnson, Burlington Bootery, Armstrong's, Clair's, Joseph's, The Shoe Box, Flaer's
Poll Parrot
Image 171 of 435
Bootery 1976
Image 172 of 435
Flagg Flyers
Image 173 of 435
"flip,it's open,snap its shut"
Flagg Flyers - way cool !
ripple sole shoe2
Image 174 of 435
Image 175 of 435
POST restaurant 1900-1963
Image 176 of 435
like those prices ?
Anderson Motor 1949
Image 177 of 435
Anderson Motors, c. 1949
roller rink
Image 178 of 435
Garden Midway Roller Rink, on rt. 130
milk bottles
Image 179 of 435
Did the milkman deliver to your door?
Image 180 of 435
Mason milk bottle
Image 181 of 435
Clarence Mason's dairy operation, 1904 - 1920, operated on Burlington Island.
Bottling Works
Image 182 of 435
Image 183 of 435
and more Burlington bottles!
Bordens pocket mirror
Image 184 of 435
Borden's Dairy pocket mirror
Roger Wilco
Image 185 of 435
Roger Wilco - that roof was way ahead of its time!
Image 186 of 435
gone but not forgotten !
Curtins Marina
Image 187 of 435
Curtin's Marina and Wharf, Pearl St.
ads 4
Image 188 of 435
Image 189 of 435
mens shops
Image 190 of 435
Clothing Wars !
Image 191 of 435
"For all your heating needs"
this 1962 picture from the Burlington County Times
CS Heal
Image 192 of 435
Two Guys
Image 193 of 435
Shop Rite 1960
Image 194 of 435
Shop Rite, c.1960
Wedgewood Farms
Image 195 of 435
Wedgewood Farms - 541 and Sunset Road
Anns bar
Image 196 of 435
Anne's East End Bar, Pearl & Tatham
white house bar
Image 197 of 435
Image 198 of 435
♪ ♫ 99 bottles of beer on the wall ♫ ♪
Did you drink Barth or Maloney?
Image 199 of 435
business cards
Image 200 of 435
Metropolitan Inn
Image 201 of 435
Metropolitan Inn - Broad & High. Originally buit as the Blue Anchor Tavern in 1750. Known as the Belden house in the 1860's, later became the Metropolitan Inn and then Alexander's Inn in the 70's.
Auditorium Theater
Image 202 of 435
The Auditorium Theater featured vaudeville shows, and later it was known as the Fox Theater with movies and live entertainment. In the 60's until its close in 1966 it was known as the High Theater. Razed in 1970 to make way for apartments.
Burl College
Image 203 of 435
Burlington College, founded 1847 by Bishop George Washington Doane, who founded St. Mary's Hall ten years earlier. Burlington College was a boys' school, while St. Mary's was the girls' school. The college closed in the late 1800s, but graduates from Doane Academy today have Burlington College on their diplomas.
Birch Carriages 3
Image 204 of 435
James Birch’s Carriage Company, established 1862, located at Broad & Library Streets ...
Birch Carriages 1
Image 205 of 435
Built over 200 models of carriages for export worldwide ...
ads c 1881
Image 206 of 435
Birch Carriages 2
Image 207 of 435
and became the largest manufacturer of rickshaws in the world!
Birch Opera House
Image 208 of 435
Birch Opera House
Birch opera
Image 209 of 435
Husksters Market
Image 210 of 435
Hucksters' Market was on Main St., which is now High St.
Friends school
Image 211 of 435
old stores
Image 212 of 435
Image 213 of 435
Nehemiah Sleeper of Sleeper , Wells, & Aldrich patented his own style ketchup bottle in 1871.
Image 214 of 435
Italian-American store
Image 215 of 435
Italian-American store 1922, Penn and Tatham
Griddle Bakery
Image 216 of 435
Silk Mills
Image 217 of 435
Image 218 of 435
The Neidich Process Company came to Burlington from Philadelphia in 1906. Located on St. Mary St., it manufactured carbon paper and typewriter ribbons shipped all over the world. It later became the Underwood Corporation.
G W Lewis
Image 219 of 435
Anthony Hats
Image 220 of 435
Anthony's Hats & Shoes - shoe lace pull
Image 221 of 435
H. R. Lindabury basket company was a precursor to the Lincraft fence company.
WM Bishop
Image 222 of 435
Image 223 of 435
In 1946 Ballinger Motor Co. was purchased by Francis Lucas who renamed it of course to Lucas Ford. It remained at Washington and Federal Streets until 1959, when it moved to its current location on Route 130.
Clair drugs c 1900
Image 224 of 435
Clair Drugs, c. 1900
Lawrence Pottery Co
Image 225 of 435
c 1808 - 1814
Image 226 of 435
Image 227 of 435
canned foods
Image 228 of 435
Sleeper, Wells & Aldrich c. 1870
Mechanics Bank
Image 229 of 435
Mechanics Bank, 1905
George Pfeiffer
Image 230 of 435
Image 231 of 435
Taylor cattle
Image 232 of 435
William S. Taylor was the President of the NJ Board of Agriculture from 1888 until 1916
autocar c1911
Image 233 of 435
Image 234 of 435
Bernasco Harness
Image 235 of 435
Image 236 of 435
typewriter ribbon from Underwood Corp.
trade cards
Image 237 of 435
Victorian trade cards, late 1800's
Dr Champion
Image 238 of 435
more ads
Image 239 of 435
Anderson eclipse
Image 240 of 435
Image 241 of 435
Broad and Tatham, 1910
Budd Shoe3
Image 242 of 435
Budd Shoe factory at Penn and Dilwyn.
Built 1887, "largest baby shoe factory in the world." On National Register of Historic Places. Factory later occupied by a textile mill and in the 1970s by West Electronics. Today has been adapted for residential use.
Image 243 of 435
Tichenor photography
Image 244 of 435
Tichenor photography studio
Wall Rope
Image 245 of 435
Wall Rope Works in Beverly was the first large manufacturer of corded rope. The heart of the factory was its ropewalk, a long narrow building where strands of material were laid and twisted into rope. The 1,700 foot-long facility was the largest in the country. The company supplied rope products for the military beginning with the Spanish-American War and through the World Wars. Its products were used in the construction of the Kennedy Space Center. At its peak, Wall Rope employed about 400 workers. It closed in 1982.
Image 246 of 435
F.J. Cutter wholesale liquors
advertising match safe, c. 1910
Image 247 of 435
Baker photography
Image 248 of 435
Hall c1890
Image 249 of 435
P.B. Hall Bottler c1890
Broad St Bridge
Image 250 of 435
Broad St. Bridge
Springside Chapel
Image 251 of 435
Springside Chapel
Widmaier York St
Image 252 of 435
Widmaier's on York St., c. 1897
Wessells 1899
Image 253 of 435
Wessells & Gray, c.1899
Image 254 of 435
In the 1870s, businessman Andrew H. McNeal established this company which became Burlington’s largest industry and one the largest pipe manufacturers in the United States. In 1899, McNeal sold his interest to a new corporation ....
Image 255 of 435
Ridgway Nippins
Image 256 of 435
Ridgeway Nippins, c. 1913
Pennsauken Mart
Image 257 of 435
Pennsauken Mart - closed in January 2006.
US Pipe3
Image 258 of 435
US Pipe Foundry c. 1926.
Visible is Foundry Row - company owned houses rented to workers.
US Pipe1
Image 259 of 435
U.S Pipe. c1915
US Pipe2
Image 260 of 435
US Pipe workers
Image 261 of 435
U.S. Pipe Workers, 1955
Niagra Hill Billies
Image 262 of 435
Image 263 of 435
Image 264 of 435
In 1953 a team from Burlington went to the championship game of the Little Bigger League World Series in Trenton. Claire Ruth, Babe's widow, was there and was so inspired by the organization that the name was changed to the Babe Ruth League.
basketball program 1966
Image 265 of 435
champs 1966
Image 266 of 435
champs 1966 team
Image 267 of 435
the 1966 team
Image 268 of 435
are you here?
Image 269 of 435
or here?
baseball players
Image 270 of 435
Burls make it to the big leagues!
Coach Morris
Image 271 of 435
legendary football coach Horace Morris, with star athletes Tommy Lee
and Merril Moses
Columbus Park football
Image 272 of 435
Image 273 of 435
brown jug
Image 274 of 435
1960 Burl vs. Bristol Little Brown Jug Classic

Bristol took opening kickoff 88 yards for a TD. We then scored on TDs by Merrill Moses and Steve Brown, all in 1st quarter. Final score 12-6.
bball 1977
Image 275 of 435
Burlington Township freshmen 1977
Lucas motor
Image 276 of 435
1977 football schedule
LaGource Sq LL 64
Image 277 of 435
LaGource Square Little League 1964
Columbus Park Lassies
Image 278 of 435
license plate
Image 279 of 435
Revell House 1936
Image 280 of 435
Revell House on Pearl St., one of the oldest residences in New Jersey. Built in 1685 by Quaker distiller George Hutchinson, later sold to Thomas Revell, registrar of the Proprietors of West New Jersey. Nicknamed the Gingerbread House, history says this is where Benjamin Franklin was sold gingerbread on his way to Philadelphia. In 1966 the house was moved to Wood St. when the city made plans to widen Pearl St.

Revell House3
Image 281 of 435
Revell House today on Wood St.
Image 282 of 435
old St Mary
Image 283 of 435
Old St. Mary's church, Broad and Wood Sts., built 1702
St Mary1
Image 284 of 435
St. Mary's is the oldest Espiscopal church in New Jersey.
stand pipe
Image 285 of 435
The waterworks smokestack also served as a guidepost for boats on the Delaware.
Image 286 of 435
our favorite bridge !
Bridge 1930
Image 287 of 435
under construction, 1930
DeKeim scissors
Image 288 of 435
Original scissors used in the ribbon cutting ceremony on May 2, 1931, presented to Mrs. George B. DeKeim. DeKeim was a major financier to the building of the bridge.
bridge up
Image 289 of 435
The vertical lift was the longest of that type.
toll booth
Image 290 of 435
toll booth in center of bridge, moved to street in 1954
new bridge
Image 291 of 435
One of several proposals to replace the bridge. All were rejected after protests by residents because construction would require the access ramp to extend to Rt 130, resulting in the removal of homes and historic buildings.
Image 292 of 435
Belden House 1908
Image 293 of 435
Belden House
Originally the Blue Anchor Tavern, it was a favorite lodging place for stars of the American Stage performing at the Opera House located nearby.
1741 house
Image 294 of 435
somewhere on High St.
Ockanickon marker
Image 295 of 435
Ockanickon was Chief of the Mantas tribe of the Lenape and a friend of the settlers.
This marker behind the Friends Meetinghouse.
Camp Ockanickon
Image 296 of 435
Camp Ockanickon
Image 297 of 435
Image 298 of 435
Picture not dated, but check the hanging light. Maybe that gives a clue.
Old Smith Mansion
Image 299 of 435
Old Smith Mansion, located at Broad & High. Built in 1733 as a residence, it later became the Williams Drug Store, then torn down in the 20's to be the site of the Mechanics bank.
Image 300 of 435
♪ ♫ Dead Man's Curve ♫ ♪
infamous zig-zag tunnel under the railroad, on Beverly Rd connecting Burlington and Edgewater Park
tunnel build
Image 301 of 435
Image 302 of 435
A right of passage was to drive it and then over the Bristol Bridge!
The tunnel was actually a part of BHS Drivers Ed.
Image 303 of 435
and when you did not succesfully navigate the curve!
Image 304 of 435
A trolley system once ran through the tunnel.
this picture c.1920-30
Shippen House
Image 305 of 435
Shippen House
19th century home of Judge Edward Shippe, on the Riverbank. His daughter Peggy Shippen married the traitor Benedict Arnold.
Sylvan Lake
Image 306 of 435
Sylvan Lake then
Sylvan now
Image 307 of 435
Sylvan Lake now - pavillion, bathhouse, outdoor showers, volleyball, grills, picnic area. Water healthier due to aerators.
Image 308 of 435
old Hessian barracks, now Knights of Columbus behind St. Paul school on the left
flood 1954
Image 309 of 435
aftermath of Hurricane Hazel, 1954
flood 1954 2
Image 310 of 435
Image 311 of 435
travelling merry-go-round, c. 1950
In the center is Joyce Gamble Lindabury, class of '62, and looking up in wonder is her sister Barbara, class of '58.
Image 312 of 435
Image 313 of 435
Image 314 of 435
indestructable Tonka
plastic model
Image 315 of 435
Image 316 of 435
Image 317 of 435
Image 318 of 435
Image 319 of 435
atomic energy! - really?
Model Train Scenery
Image 320 of 435
What gauge was your model railroad - S, O, HO, N, Z ?
Image 321 of 435
♪ ♫ Oh the games people play ♫ ♪
Image 322 of 435
burl game
Image 323 of 435
Burlingopoly ?
boys books
Image 324 of 435
literature for boys
girls books
Image 325 of 435
and girls
educ book
Image 326 of 435
and of course educational books
Image 327 of 435
Cheat on the book report? Nah, not us ....
boys life
Image 328 of 435
we were honorable ...
Image 329 of 435
but late night under the covers with a flashlight !
Image 330 of 435
remember when there were just 8 colors?
silly putty
Image 331 of 435
the orginal copy machine
Image 332 of 435
♪ ♫ POP! goes the weasel ♫ ♪
Image 333 of 435
♪ ♫ I got a brand new pair of roller skates,
You got a brand new key ♫ ♪
Image 334 of 435
The 300-acre island is the site of the first European settlement in what would become New Jersey. The natives called it "Matennecunk", which means "Island of Pines". In 1624 Dutch settlers named it "Verhulsten", in honor of the first Director of New Netherland.

The Dutch were displaced by the Swedish in 1656 and the English in 1664, regained control in 1673, and were displaced by the English again in 1677.

In 1682 the Island was ceded to the City, with all revenue from use of the island to fund education. This is the first basis for a free school system in the nation, and is the oldest continuing educational trust in the nation.
Island map
Image 335 of 435
Island map 1797
Image 336 of 435
Burlington Island Park was an amusement park from 1900 to 1934. Also known as Island Beach Park, it covered 100 acres.
Image 337 of 435
People came to Burlington by the thousands by steamboard or train, then ferried to the Island.
Image 338 of 435
Image 339 of 435
Was the Island the inspiration for Georges Seurat's 1884 painting A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte ?
Image 340 of 435
The rides and attractions were numerous. There was the Razzle Dazzle (shown here), Steeplechase, Tunnel of Love, Tumblebug, Aeroplanes, Dodge-em, bumper cars, Caterpillar, fun house, Ferris wheel. For other entertainment there was a rifle range, pony rides, baseball, dance hall, bingo.
Image 341 of 435
"Ocean Wave"
Image 342 of 435
"Miniature Railway"
island 21
Image 343 of 435
Skee Ball and Kentucky Races
Image 344 of 435
Image 345 of 435
"The Greyhound"
Image 346 of 435
Image 347 of 435
Image 348 of 435
Carousel built by the Dentzel Company of Philadelphia, maker of some of the finest carousels in the world. It featured 58 animals and 2,016 light bulbs. Moved to Seaside Heights in 1932.

Most of the amusements were destroyed in a 1928 fire. Another fire in1934 destroyed what was left.
Image 349 of 435
Carousel today on Casino Pier in Seaside Heights.
35 moving horses, 18 stationary horses, 2 camels, 1 lion, 1 tiger, 2 chariots, 2016 lightbulbs, 15 original paintings from 1910 in center casing.
In 2012 it survived Hurricane Sandy which destroyed much of the pier. The owners plan to sell the carousel or dismantle it and auction off the parts, so efforts are underway to bring the carousel home to Burlington!
boat ride
Image 350 of 435
possibly the remains of the children's boat ride
Image 351 of 435
Skee Ball
Image 352 of 435
"The Whip"
island 19
Image 353 of 435
island 20
Image 354 of 435
island3 summer houses 70s
Image 355 of 435
summer houses on Island, 1970's
Image 356 of 435
Image 357 of 435
In 1955 work commenced to remove the sand from the park area, and now the former site is a 100-acre lake.
island panorama
Image 358 of 435
panoramic photo taken from Bristol
island plan
Image 359 of 435
proposed plan of Island development project
Image 360 of 435
"American Graffiti"
Beverly Rd. tunnel
Anyone from the Class of '68 care to own up to this?
rt 25
Image 361 of 435
Image 362 of 435
Have you seen the Jersey Devil ?
13th Child
Image 363 of 435
then see the 2002 movie
Chief Halftown
Image 364 of 435
Traynor Ora Halftown (2/24/1917 – 7/52003), known as Chief Halftown, was an entertainer who hosted a children's show on Philadelphia TV from 1950 to 1999. He was a full-blooded Native American from the Seneca nation in New York state. He was also a professional bowler and spokesman for the Brunswick Bowling Manufacturing Corporation. The Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia inducted Halftown into their Hall of Fame in 2004.
Sally Starr
Image 365 of 435
Sally Starr (1923 – 2013) was a prominent TV personality in the 50's. She reigned on Philadelphia TV, hosting “Popeye Theater.” She became the first top-rated female DJ in the country, and also worked as announcer, writer and producer while also appearing on stage and in movies. The Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia inducted Starr into their Hall of Fame in 1995.
Image 366 of 435
Yes, Burlington had its own air park, where LaGorce Square is located today. The entrance was on Rt. 130 (old Rt. 25), and the runways went almost all the way to Neck Road on the east and Columbus Road on the south.
Team Bamber Lake
Image 367 of 435
Team Babber Lake
1962 cost
Image 368 of 435
like those prices ?
Lit Bros
Image 369 of 435
and these !
Burl 275th
Image 370 of 435
fire alarms
Image 371 of 435
where was your fire alarm?
Image 372 of 435
firehouses today - Niagara, Hope, Endeavor ...
Image 373 of 435
and back then
Image 374 of 435
Neptune Fire Company
Ford HH
Image 375 of 435
Ford H&H fire truck, Beverly 1951
Firemens parade 1957
Image 376 of 435
Firemen's Parade, 1957
Image 377 of 435
Endeavor Fire Co. arch erected for city's 300th anniversary parade in 1977

Image 378 of 435
mini hook and ladder firetruck, ride costs 10 cents
Image 379 of 435
Ferry to Bristol
steamer Burlington
Image 380 of 435
juke box
Image 381 of 435
better than mp3 !
Image 382 of 435
Careful, don't tilt !
cheap gas
Image 383 of 435
Like those prices? Plus S&H green stamps!
Image 384 of 435
still have some you haven't redeemed ?
Halloween parage
Image 385 of 435
Halloween parade, c. 1950
Image 386 of 435
built to last forever !
Image 387 of 435
Remember your Indian bead bookmark and lanyard key chain?
paper chain
Image 388 of 435
home-made jewlery
AmBridge Steel Joists
Image 389 of 435
nothing but the best for Burlington!
file photo
Image 390 of 435
Which Mousketeer did you have a crush on ?
Columbia record club
Image 391 of 435
13 for $1.00 !
But did you actually buy "as few as 9 or more selections at regular Club prices in the coming 3 years"?
Image 392 of 435
your first boom box
Image 393 of 435
1977 PC
WOW, what power for only $5995 !
Image 394 of 435
did you listen to WIBG ?
Image 395 of 435
Image 396 of 435
instant pictures !
telephone dial
Image 397 of 435
in case you've forgotten
Image 398 of 435
Image 399 of 435
stripe toothpaste
Image 400 of 435
did you cut open the Stripe tube to see how it works ?
hunt pennant
Image 401 of 435
Hunt Brothers circus
Image 402 of 435
So was it No.1 or No. 2 ?
Hunt sign
Image 403 of 435
the winter quarters were in Florence until 1978
Hunt winter
Image 404 of 435
the site is marked with this sign at the intersection of U.S. 130 & Cedar Lane
Trenton bridge
Image 405 of 435
New Jersey Senator coined the phrase in a contest sponsored by the Trenton Chamber of Commerce in 1910.
storm 62
Image 406 of 435
Image 407 of 435
Image 408 of 435
Oh, to be there !
Image 409 of 435
Need extra spending money? Sell Grit !
extra money ad
Image 410 of 435
or Christmas cards
Image 411 of 435
on the Promenade
painted ladies
Image 412 of 435
"Painted Ladies" on W. Union St.
Image 413 of 435
Not exactly Burlington but still of local interest. In 1892 Arthur Hotchkiss received a patent for a bicycle railroad. The initial track ran 1.8 miles from Smithville to Mount Holly.
Image 414 of 435
The purpose was to enable factory employees to commute quickly between the two cities. If riders travelling in opposite directions met, one had to pull off onto a siding, so a second track was later added. Monthly commuter tickets cost $2.00 .
Image 415 of 435
The record speed was 4.5 minutes, the average 6–7 minutes. By 1897 ridership had declined and the railway fell into disrepair. It was exhibited at the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.
Promenade sunrise
Image 416 of 435
Promenade at sunrise
Burlington Island on the left, Curtin Marina straight ahead
picture taken by Richard Monyer, class of '68
Image 417 of 435
Impressionist Burlington street scene by painter Richard Cassel, 1949
Image 418 of 435
♪ ♫ Children of our alma mater, sing we now her praise.
Burlington's beloved high school, loud our voices raise ♫ ♪
Image 419 of 435
Image 420 of 435
Image 421 of 435
Image 422 of 435
Image 423 of 435
Image 424 of 435
Image 425 of 435
Image 426 of 435
Image 427 of 435
Image 428 of 435
HS down
Image 429 of 435
demolition in 2008
Image 430 of 435
salvage !
Image 431 of 435
door prize at the Class of '64 45th reunion in 2009
time capsule2
Image 432 of 435
Tony Zoppina in 1979 excavating a well at the Quaker schoolhouse, to be the depository for a Burlington time capsule.
time capsule1
Image 433 of 435
time capsule inventory
group pictures
group pictures
(25 images)
Image 434 of 435
Finally, let's honor those who we lost in Vietnam
bridge night
Image 435 of 435
Good night, all !!

Generated by jAlbum 17.1.5, Matrix 53